Author Topic: [G19] ColourBlocks  (Read 8753 times)

Antistar

[G19] ColourBlocks
« on: 2014-10-04 03:29:47 »
ColourBlocks

Readme quote:

LCDHost custom layout:

==================
ColourBlocks

Version: 1.0.1
Date: 24-10-2014
Author: Antistar (Joseph Lollback)
E-mail: josephlollback@hotmail.com
==================

1. Description
2. Requirements
3. Installation/Uninstallation
4. Details
5. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
6. Known Issues
7. Credits
8. Permissions
9. Contact Information
10. Legal Stuff/Disclaimer
11. Version History

===============
1. DESCRIPTION
===============

ColourBlocks is a custom layout for LCDHost, aimed at the G19 keyboard. It used who0p's 'System Info' layout as a basic framework, and was visually inspired by Ender91's 'WP7' layout (which in turn is based on the Omnimo UI for Rainmeter). See the Credits section below for links to these things.

The basic idea is to have the most commonly useful information on the first tab ('ALL'), with more detailed information available on subsequent tabs ('CPU', 'GPU', etc). On each tab, information is grouped by easily distinguishable blocks of colours. The Left and Right buttons on the G19 keyboard's D-pad are used to navigate through the tabs.

The CPU and GPU tabs will light up red to warn of temperatures getting above certain thresholds.

Please see the Details section for more information on using ColourBlocks.

===============
2. Requirements
===============

- Uses HWInfo - http://www.hwinfo.com
--- Note that at the time of writing, the latest versions of HWInfo and LCDHost cause a crash if used together. Personally I'm using HWInfo64 v4.40-2240 and it works fine.
--- You can of course use other monitoring programs supported by LCDHost if you want, but this readme will assume that you're using HWInfo.

- Uses Fraps - http://www.fraps.com/
--- The free version is fine for the purposes of ColourBlocks.

- Uses fonts from the Segoe UI family of fonts by Microsoft - http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/family.aspx?FID=331
--- Available by default in Windows Vista, 7, 8, plus other Microsoft programs, I believe. Something like Arial would be a decent alternative.

- Uses Wingdings and Webdings
--- Wingdings has been included in Windows since Windows 3.1, and Webdings since Windows 98.

========================
3. INSTALLATION/UNINSTALLATION
========================

Installation:

- Download and install Fraps.
--- Set Fraps to run when Windows starts.
--- Recommended: Also set it to start minimised, and to minimise to system tray only.

- Download and install HWInfo.
--- Set HWInfo to show sensors on startup, minimise main window and sensors on startup, and to auto start.

- Extract the [g19-colourblocks] directory from the g19-colourblocks.7z archive to your \LCDHost\layouts\ directory.
- Using File->Open or Ctrl+O in LCDHost, open the g19-colourblocks.xml file in the \LCDHost\layouts\g19-colourblocks\ directory.

- Depending on your system configuration, you may need to tweak ColourBlocks to monitor the correct things.
--- By default, ColourBlocks assumes a quad-core CPU, a single GPU, and two hard drives.
--- The RSS feed on the NET tab is pointed at Rock Paper Shotgun by default. Just point 'RSS feed Header' and 'RSS feed Body' at the feed URL of your choice.

Uninstallation:

- Open another layout in LCDHost, and delete the [g19-colourblocks] directory from your \LCDHost\layouts\ directory.

=====================
4. DETAILS
=====================

ALWAYS VISIBLE
- Header bar.
--- Date and time.
--- Unread e-mail count - only visible when unread mail is greater than 0.
- Tabs at the bottom of the screen.
--- Indicate current and available tabs.
--- Navigate using Left and Right buttons on the G19 D-pad.

ALL
- CPU
--- Average Load percentage and 60sec graph.
--- Average Temperature level and 60sec graph.
- NET
--- Incoming data traffic - current speed and 60sec graph.
--- Outgoing data traffic - current speed and 60sec graph.
--- Total download and upload amounts.
- GPU
--- Load percentage and 60sec graph.
--- Temperature level and 60sec graph.
- MEM
--- RAM - Bar, current used and total available.
--- C:\ - Bar, current used and total available.
--- D:\ - Bar, current used and total available.
--- GPU MEM - Bar, current used and total available.
- FPS
--- Current frames per second and 60sec graph.
--- Name of program currently detected by Fraps.
- Weather
--- Current temperature and current conditions image.
- NOW PLAYING
--- Only displays if a media player is detected as running. Replaces GPU MEM and Weather sections.
--- Progress bar, time played and track duration.
--- Artist name and track title.

CPU
- STATS
--- Average load, average temperature, fan speed, CPU clock, voltage, power.
- For each CPU core (of four)
- HISTOGRAMS
--- CPU core loads.
--- CPU core temperatures.

GPU
- STATS
--- Load, temperature, GPU memory used, fan speed, GPU clock.
- GPU
- FPS
--- Current frames per second and 60sec graph.
--- Name of program currently detected by Fraps.
- GPU MEM
--- Bar, current used and total available.
- TS3 (TeamSpeak 3)
--- Connection status image.
--- Combined status image.
--- Microphone and speakers mute status images.
--- Channel name.
--- Nickname.
--- Speaking status image.
--- Speaking text.

MEM
- STATS
--- Read and Write Counts C:\
--- Read and Write Counts D:\
--- Queue Depth C:\
--- Queue Depth D:\
- C:\
--- Write activity graph
--- Read activity graph
--- Data Written
--- Data Read
- D:\
--- Write activity graph
--- Read activity graph
--- Data Written
--- Data Read
- BARS
--- C:\ - Bar, current used and total available.
--- D:\ - Bar, current used and total available.
--- RAM - Bar, current used and total available.
--- Virtual memory - Bar, current used and total available.

NET
- IN
--- Incoming data traffic - current speed and 90sec graph.
--- Total download amount.
- OUT
--- Outgoing data traffic - current speed and 90sec graph.
--- Total upload amount.
- RSS
--- Up and Down buttons on the G19 keyboard's D-pad are used to cycle through articles.
--- 'OK' button on the D-pad is used to open the article in your browser.

M+W
- Weather - Current
--- Current conditions image and description.
--- Location (defined in LCDHost, on the Plugins tab, under Weather).
--- Forecast min and max temperatures for today.
--- Current temperature, humidity and wind speed.
- Weather - Forecast
--- Forecast for the next four days - Conditions image, min and max temperatures.
- NOW PLAYING (MUS)
--- Album art.
--- Artist name, track title and album title.
--- Play/pause/off status image.
--- Progress bar, time played and track duration.

===============
5. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQ)
===============

None so far.

============================
6. KNOWN ISSUES
============================

- I didn't see a way to detect the total GPU memory, so the 'GPU MEM' bar on the ALL and GPU tabs will need the 'Text Mem Max' item to be edited manually if your video card doesn't have 2GB of memory.

- I've never used TeamSpeak. I added TS3 stuff to the GPU tab because there was room and it might be useful to people. It *looks* like it should work - and it should hopefully be laid out in a useful way - but I don't know for sure.

- The current conditions weather image in the Weather section of the ALL tab is little too big for the background. Depending on the conditions, it may sometimes poke out by a pixel or so on the top and/or bottom. The images weren't originally made for use on this tab. It's pretty minor, but I left a current humidity value and icon just out of frame that you can replace the current conditions image with if you want. It fits into the space available nicely.

================================
7. CREDITS
================================

- ColourBlocks used who0p's 'System Info' layout as a basic framework.
--- http://forum.linkdata.se/lcdhost-layouts/my-1st-cursor-layout-594.0.html

- Visually inspired by Ender91's 'WP7' layout (which in turn is based on the Omnimo UI for Rainmeter).
--- http://forum.linkdata.se/lcdhost-layouts/wp7-layout-569.0.html
--- Also uses a gradient image plus up and down arrow images from WP7.

- Weather Icons by Lukas Bischoff, and licensed under SIL OFL 1.1, as noted here:
--- https://github.com/erikflowers/weather-icons

==========================
8. PERMISSIONS

- You can do what you like with this layout, but please include appropriate credit if you happen to use it for something; particularly for the other authors whose work I used.

9. CONTACT INFORMATION

My e-mail address is josephlollback@hotmail.com

=========================
10. LEGAL STUFF/ DISCLAIMER
=========================

By downloading and using this layout, you agree that the author of the layout cannot be held responsible for any damage to software or hardware directly or indirectly caused by the aforementioned layout. Use at your own risk, basically.

=================
11. VERSION HISTORY
=================

Version 1.0.1 (24-10-14)
- Changes to ALL tab:
--- Now includes GPU MEM section with bar, current used and total available.
--- Now includes Weather section with current temperature and current conditions image.
--- Now Playing section is now only visible when a media player is detected as running, replacing GPU MEM and Weather sections in that case.

Version 1.0 (04-10-14)
- Initial public release.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-05 04:15:55 by Antistar »

Antistar

Re: [G19] ColourBlocks
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-04 03:33:30 »
So... I've been using LCDSirReal with my old G15 for years and loving it, and recently I finally got around to replacing it with a G19. The first thing I did was grab LCDHost, and I was really impressed by it; previously I'd thought the layouts would have to be bodged together using raw xml or something. I should have done this years ago.

Anyway, it ended up being more work than I expected, but as you can see, I put together my own custom layout. I'm finding it useful; I hope someone else can get some use from it too. Let me know if there are any problems with it.

I was trying to incorporate some kind of 'now playing' support for MPC-HC, my preferred video player. It actually comes with its own Logitech keyboard LCD support, but it's designed for the monochrome G15 display and while it has a progress bar, it doesn't show time played or total duration, which has always bothered me a little. It also would be nice to have it overlay just the 'now playing' part/s of ColourBlocks, rather than completely replacing the whole layout whenever I'm playing a video.

MPC-HC has a Web Interface it can export 'now playing'-type data to, so I had a look at both the DataViewer and Webkit plugins, but didn't get far with either. Both the tutorial and example for DataViewer mentioned here are no longer available (it would be great if someone could re-upload those, actually). In any case, DataViewer didn't seem able to pull data from an html file if it wasn't sitting on a hard drive (even if it's on localhost, as with MPC-HC's web interface), so I sort of fell at the first hurdle there.

Webkit just didn't work. (Apparently a problem with LCDHost alpha37? That's the only version I've used.) It was able to show some simple information when I pointed it at MPC-HC's web interface, but a lot of things just showed up as question mark icons, and what did show up didn't update the 'time played' values and whatnot; it was frozen at whatever it was up to when I added it.

Of course it could also just be that I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to the Webkit plugin. I couldn't find any decent documentation on using it.

GiSSelo

« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-07 16:37:33 »
Looks like a good layout, but you must have some other monitoring program, for I can't get any values for my GPU's from HWiNFO.  :-\
And Aida64 won't give me the ones I need either, are you running GPU-z to ?

Other then that I was happy to get a layout that the cursors work on.  ;D

Antistar

« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-07 22:23:42 »
Thanks. :)

But nope; just HWInfo (and Fraps). I've never actually used any monitoring program before all this, so it's not that I've accidentally left something else running, either. I've got an nvidia video card (a GTX 770) and I'm using HWInfo64 v4.40-2240 - as mentioned in the readme there - not sure if that makes a difference.

Oh, and I'm using LCDHost alpha37, of course.

GiSSelo

« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-08 21:26:11 »
I have gotten all to work the way I like it now, just had to add GPU-z to my Aida64 and all values find there way home.  ;D

But anyway thanks for a clean and nice layout, I'm gone stick to this for a while now.

Antistar

« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-09 04:33:47 »
That's good. :)

Although with the two new core graphs on the CPU tab, it looks like you've got that problem where the graph shows multiple lines at once, rather than just the one that you want. It took me a while to work out how to stop it doing that. There may be another way, but this was the fastest method that worked for me:

After adding the 'Monitoring (Graph)' item and setting its Value Type to 'Usages' (or whatever), set the Line colour to transparent. Then set its Value Item to 'All', and its Selected Line to the thing you want to graph. Finally, set its Line colour back to the desired colour, and you'll have just that one line visible.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-09 04:35:57 by Antistar »

GiSSelo

« Reply #6 on: 2014-10-10 21:36:46 »
Now that you mention it I saw that, and I can't seem to fix it even with you instructions, very annoying.  :-\

Antistar

« Reply #7 on: 2014-10-11 00:07:34 »
Yeah, it's... fiddly. I wrote that assuming the use of HWInfo again, too; the fields you get might not allow for what I was describing if you're not using it (just guessing though). I actually had to change what I was originally monitoring for the hard drive line graphs for that reason; couldn't find a way around the multiple line problem.

That said, in your screenshot it is working properly for cores 1-4 - the ones I added - so it's a mystery.

GiSSelo

« Reply #8 on: 2014-10-11 22:48:15 »
I'm using Aida64 for all of them fields, even the ones that were there from start.

Gone fiddle some more later and see if I can fix it. Thanks anyway thou.  ;)

EDiT: Fixed it  ;D

Looks like my folder tree didn't match up like yours but with a little fiddling with notepad++ I got it right.

Yours
Code: [Select]
C:/utils/LCDHost
Mine
Code: [Select]
C:/Users/GiSSelo/Documents/LCDHost
« Last Edit: 2014-10-12 02:55:21 by GiSSelo »

Antistar

« Reply #9 on: 2014-10-24 01:07:43 »
I just made a small update to the layout:

Version 1.0.1 (24-10-14)
- Changes to ALL tab:
--- Now includes GPU MEM section with bar, current used and total available.
--- Now includes Weather section with current temperature and current conditions image.
--- Now Playing section is now only visible when a media player is detected as running, replacing GPU MEM and Weather sections in that case.

I've left v1.0 available for now for anyone who prefers the original arrangement on the ALL tab. Personally I think the original arrangement looked a bit better - but that's assuming the Now Playing section was actually being used. When it wasn't, it was just wasted space. I also realised that I wanted GPU memory info on the ALL tab, so...

In my first attempt at changing this, I actually replaced the entire lower half of the ALL tab when a media player was running, in order to get a prettier arrangement of elements. It seems like it was a bit too complicated though; some of the elements that were supposed to be hidden would occasionally flicker on and off. According to LCDHost, the redraws(?) per second it was doing were quite high (more than double the usual on the ALL tab), so maybe that was the cause.

So in the end I settled on a much simpler solution; the Now Playing section just displays over the top of the GPU MEM and Weather sections if a media player is running. It makes it a little cramped down there, but hey; it works.

DeeKaay

« Reply #10 on: 2014-11-06 22:12:52 »
Hey there,
I like your layout. It's really nice.
I tried to add 4 more cores at the CPU screen but I don't get it.
Is it possible that you make a version with 8 cores?

Thank you anyway :)
« Last Edit: 2014-11-06 22:19:14 by DeeKaay »

Antistar

« Reply #11 on: 2014-11-07 00:31:02 »
Thanks. :)

I'm afraid I don't have time to make lots of variants, though; sorry. While using LCDHost's editor isn't difficult (for most things), it is somewhat tedious as it lacks the ability to duplicate or copy/paste elements.

It shouldn't be too hard to tweak it the way you want, though. For the additional cores, just recreate what you see in the existing sections on ColourBlocks' CPU tab. That's how I learnt to make ColourBlocks; I looked at how other layouts were put together.

If you do work it out, feel free to share it here if you like, so that others can use it too.

hzoa

« Reply #12 on: 2014-11-30 17:44:35 »
Hello, this is very nice, thanks a lot, I am loving it.

To make it work with HWiNFO, you need the version 4.40 http://filepony.de/download-hwinfo64/get-mirror-server-5621.html, it is the latest version that work. It is written in the readme but better be safe!
« Last Edit: 2014-11-30 22:35:17 by hzoa »

Antistar

« Reply #13 on: 2014-12-01 01:42:14 »
Thanks - glad you like it. :)

To be clear for anyone else reading this, the issue with HWInfo's recent versions isn't related to this layout specifically; it's an issue between HWInfo and LCDHost itself.

I believe there's a mention in the Paragon layout thread of disabling a particular feature in HWInfo before using it with LCDHost. It could be that that feature is what's causing the problem with the more recent versions, so that's also something that people could look at if they want to use one of those versions.

Antistar

« Reply #14 on: 2016-08-27 02:26:26 »
Hmm - been a while.

Yesterday I replaced my GTX 770 video card (which I had when I made ColourBlocks) with a GTX 1060, and found that the old version of HWInfo (4.40) required by LCDHost did not properly recognise the new video card. The GPU load/temperature/memory/etc was no longer being monitored.

An updated version of HWInfo does recognise and monitor the GTX 1060 properly, but then LCDHost wouldn't recognise the new version of HWInfo. (LCDHost really really needs an update.)

In the end, I went back to HWInfo64 4.40 and started using GPU-Z to monitor anything GPU-related. I had to change the various GPU items in ColourBlocks to instead point at GPU-Z of course, but so far it seems to work fine.

Just thought I'd mention it in case it helps anyone.