Author Topic: Paragon III - Legacy Thread  (Read 48587 times)

lordazoroth

Paragon III - Legacy Thread
« on: 2011-10-19 15:08:17 »
This is a legacy thread for a Paragon version which is no longer supported.
The latest version can be found here:

►►►Paragon IV - The Paragon of Layouts◄◄◄

Paragon Red [Overclockers Edition] v3.0.2
►►►Download Here◄◄◄
MD5: ac2d5a675085f1b493e72f8fb235e868
------------------------------------------

Table of contents:
1 Changelog
2 Required Programs
3 Installation
4 Configuration
     4.1 Ram Graph
     4.2 Vram Graph
     4.3 Available Drive Space
     4.4 Primary Drive Bars and Graphs
          4.4.1 Solid State Drive
          4.4.2 Hard Drive
     4.5 Save
     4.6 LCDHost Refresh Script
     4.7 Enjoy!
5 FAQ
6 Bugs
7 Credits
8 Download Link

Changelog:
Version 3.0.2 (09/09/13)
-No longer need Speedfan! Replaced by HWiNFO.
-CPU and GPU frequencies added.
-Frozen drive statistics counter added.
-CPU and GPU Voltages added.
-Ram and Vram are now mini graphs.
-GPU Fan relocated.
-Hardware Video Decoder usage added.
-Drive space now displays available space instead of used space.
-Usage percentages added to drive graph.
-TeamSpeak added (blank until a user speaks in your TeamSpeak channel).

Required Programs:
LCDHost v0.0.34 (or newer) - http://www.linkdata.se/software/lcdhost/
HWiNFO - http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
GPU-Z - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
Fraps - http://www.fraps.com/

Installation:
1 - Download (below) and unzip the Paragon Red v3.0.2 Folder onto your Drive, preferably C:\Users\[username]\Documents\LCDHost\layouts\.
2 - Download, Install, and Run all required programs listed above.
3 - In LCDHost click the "System" tab at the top and adjust network speeds for your connection (speedtest.net can help). Instructions are located in the FAQ section.
4 - In LCDHost click File >> Open and select the appropriate .xml (Red) or (Blue) located in the folder extracted in step 1.
5 - Configure the layout for your particular system following the steps provided in the Configuration section below.

Tip: You can autostart these programs upon login under Windows Vista and 7 with the built in "Task Scheduler" application. Here are some helpful links to guide you through the process:
Schedule a task
Create new task

Additionally, you can use the /minimized and --hidden arguments to autohide upon launch.

Configuration:
Arrows have been provided in the instance list to assist you in quickly customizing this layout to work with your unique PC. Don't worry, you won't need them all. Most of our work from this point will be performed within LCDHost under the "Layout" tab. This process should take less than 10 minutes.
Note: This layout is very complex. It is recommended that you save to a new .xml and reopen often as it may crash upon opening after a change is saved. You must reopen your newly saved .xml's since upon launch, LCDHost restores your last opened .xml, not your last saved .xml.

1 - Ram Graph - The Ram graph is set to properly display 16 GB by default. If your system has more or less than 16 GB of Ram, follow these simple instructions, otherwise, proceed to step 2. Open Windows Task Manager and select the "Performance" tab. In the Physical Memory (MB) section, you'll see Total, memorize or write down this value.

Open LCDHost and select the layout tab. In the Instance window, select Ram (Bar), and on the right, change "Graph Ymax" from 16336 to the value taken from Windows Task Manager.

2 - Vram Graph - The Vram graph is set to properly display 1024 MB by default. If your video card has more or less than 1024 MB, follow these simple instructions, otherwise, proceed to step 3. Open GPU-Z and under the Graphics Card tab you'll see Memory Size, memorize or write down this value.

Similarly to step 1, we're going to open LCDHost and click the layout tab. In the Instance window select Vram (Bar), and on the right, change "Graph Ymax" from 1024 to your video card(s) maximum available memory size taken from GPU-Z.

3 - Available Drive Space - Your display now has drive indicators on the right hand side that display how much free space you have on 2 drives. These should be set to your primary (C:\) and an additional secondary (Likely E:\). The secondary drive default is set to E:\ but unfortunately LCDHost doesn't appear to preserve this well as each system is different even if you are using a secondary under the E:\ drive letter. We'll go about correcting this. To find out if your available free drive space is being read correctly, refer to your explorer list and compare the values found there with the values found on your LCD keyboard screen.

If your drive values match, proceed to step 4. If not, click the arrow to the left of Instance "E: Drive Letter" to expand it, then select E: Disk Space (Text). On the right, change "Value Item" to "E" or your appropriate drive letter.

If your drive letter is different, you can also change the E:\ text to your appropriate drive letter by selecting the "E: Drive Letter" Instance and altering the "Text" value on the right.

If your C:\ drive values do not match, use the same procedure above for drive E:\ but apply it to the "C: Drive Letter" Instance instead.
Note: Instance "C: Drive Letter" does not have an arrow pointing to it as it appears to crash LCDHost when saved and loaded with an arrow. It can be found at the bottom of the Instance list.

4 - Primary Drive Bars and Graphs - This will be different for Solid State Drives than it will be for Hard Drives. If you have a Solid State Drive, you will need an external program (preferably the software that came with your drive) to perform a random read/write (IOPS) benchmark. If you have a Hard Drive, this will be simpler as you will only need to change a few values.

The green highlighted area in the image above is the section we'll be dealing with. There are 2 bars and 2 graphs in this section. If you have a Solid State Drive, proceed to step 4.1. If you have a Hard Drive, proceed to step 4.2.

4.1 - Solid State Drive - With your layout now saved and running, you'll need to benchmark your drive so that LCDHost automatically adjusts graphs to their appropriate values. I have a Samsung 840 Pro, so I use Samsung's Magician software.

After clicking that button (or equivalent), you should see something like the images below on your LCD Display. At some point during the benchmark, both graph percentages should indicate 100% or close to it.

Now that the layout has the values we need, go back into LCDHost, and select the "[Graph] Drive Read" Instance. On the right, Uncheck "Ymax Can Grow" and write down or memorize the value in Graph Ymax [without decimals]. Repeat this process for the "[Graph] Drive Write" Instance.

So far so good. Now click the arrow to the left of Instance "Drive" to expand it, then select "Drvie Read Active" (yes I screwed that up lol). On the right, change "Maximum" to the read value (written down/memorized earlier) from instance "[Graph] Drive Read". Repeat this process for the "Drive Write Active" Instance.
Note: Instance "Drive" does not have an arrow pointing to it as it appears to crash LCDHost when saved and loaded with an arrow. It can be found by scrolling down.

Excellent work, proceed to step 5.

4.2 - Hard Drive - Select the "[Graph] Drive Read" Instance and on the right, uncheck "Ymax Can Grow". Above that, change "Graph Ymax" to 100. Repeat this process for Instance "[Graph] Drive Write".

5 - Save - Don't forget to save your layout (LCDHost >> File >> Save). Also, be sure to File >> Exit and restart LCDHost to make sure your layout opens properly (this may also correct some issues caused by the Configuration process).

6 - LCDHost Refresh Script - Occasionally your drive statistics may freeze [Drive Stats Plugin developer bug]. The "Last Update" counter located under your drive graphs will help you determine if a drive stats freeze has occurred. To mitigate frustration, a handy script has been provided in the downloaded .zip for your convenience. Place all files in the LCDHost_Restart_Script folder into C:\Users\[username]\Documents\LCDHost\bin (or wherever your LCDHost\bin directory is located) and use/activate/keybind LCDHost_Refresh_Launcher.vbs to instantly force kill and relaunch LCDHost even while it's minimized or in the background! Mine is keybound to G12. If the script does not work for you for whatever reason, just navigate to LCDHost and select File >> Reload. In some cases you may need to exit and relaunch LCDHost, and sometimes even Logitech Gaming Software, though this is rare.
Note: It's safe to use this script after saving changes to your layout, but if you change anything relating to LCDHost itself (that is, any change made outside of the "Layout" tab, such as network settings), those changes will only save by manually clicking File >> Exit within LCDHost.

7 - Enjoy! - I know it was a lot of work, but now you should have a fully functional layout customized for your unique system. Refer to the FAQ section below if you have any questions and feel free to leave any comments or suggestions you may have.

FAQ:
I don't use TeamSpeak, how do I get my RSS Feed Back?
Click the "Layout" tab and select the "RSS Feed" Instance. Change color from 0 to 255. Additionally, you can alter the "URL" to whatever RSS feed you'd like to have displayed.

Why doesn't the GPU information display my correct usage levels?
GPU-Z sends information about your video card directly to LCDHost. LCDHost reads this information and displays it on your screen. First you must ensure GPU-Z is setup properly:
1. After installation, open GPU-Z and click the sensors tab at the top to view the sensor screen.
2. Next, check the box at the bottom titled "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background".
3. Check that each value is represented correctly and minimize this program (right click window bar >> minimize).

Why aren't all of my network bars lighting up?
There could be several reasons but the most common are:
1. You're not uploading or downloading fast enough to max out your connection.
2. Your network settings may need to be lowered slightly. In LCDHost click the "System" tab at the top and adjust network speeds for your connection (Speedtest.net can help).

I lower my settings somewhat since Speedtest.net doesn't perform an extended test and therefore doesn't account for burst download mode.

Why is my FPS dial pointing down and exceeding far right?
In the event your framerate exceeds the maximum value set in your currently selected layout, the FPS dial will begin to point downward and may even point back at 0. Simply navigate to LCDHost >> Layout >> "Instances" section >> select "Fraps Dial" and change "Maximum" value to double your monitors refresh rate. When your games framerate exceeds your maximum refresh rate due to Vsync off, (though variable) you must predict the maximum logical framerate to prevent the dial exceeding far right. [This is due to a limitation within LCDHost concerning dials]
Tip: Optionally you can also expand the Fraps 0 instance >> select the Fraps 60 instance and on the right, change 60 to your monitors refresh rate.
Remember to save!

How come none of my drive information is displaying correctly?
Your drive stats plugin may not be enabled. Click the plugins tab >> drive stats >> double click to enable. Open a fresh .xml of Paragon Red and/or restart LCDHost and see if that works.
Tip: You can speed up the polling rate of your drive stats here, which can dramatically affect the speed at which your drive bars and percentages update.

Why does my Vram display as a percentage?
I've heard of this happening, but it's easily fixable. Open LCDHost and select the "Layout" tab. In the "Instances" box select VRam (Bar) >> VRam (Total MB Used) and on the right hand side change the "Value Item" from "Gpu Load" (it might be set to something else) to "Memory Used".

Bugs:
Drive statistics may freeze from time to time. Please refer to step 6 in the Configuration section for a script workaround. [Drive Stats Plugin developer bug]

Over 200 Images were created and saved for this layout. Only 19 survived O.O.
Over 250 hours were spent in the testing, designing and creation of this layout.
Requests welcome!

Credits:
Anthony Guillen - Creator
Andre Guillen - Technical and Research Assistant, Quality Assurance
Rachael Strossman - Design Consultant

Thanks to JWMutant for some great suggestions!

►►►Download Here◄◄◄
MD5: ac2d5a675085f1b493e72f8fb235e868
« Last Edit: 2014-10-11 15:49:39 by lordazoroth »

SirReal

• Administrator
    • linkdata.se
Re: Paragon Blue Layout
« Reply #1 on: 2011-10-19 18:28:23 »
Wow. That's quite an impressive first post!   :D
Nice work, and welcome to the forum.

lordazoroth

Re: Paragon Blue Layout
« Reply #2 on: 2011-10-20 01:51:57 »
Thank you, good to be here. :D

I wanted a layout that literally didn't exist so I decided to build it myself, and in such a way that others could benefit from it too.

Hope everyone likes. ^.^
More colors will be released soon as well!
« Last Edit: 2011-10-21 12:38:51 by lordazoroth »

lordazoroth

Re: Paragon Blue (RGB) Layout
« Reply #3 on: 2011-10-20 08:48:11 »
Green and Red versions have been added to the new zip file.
Enjoy!

lordazoroth

Re: Paragon Blue v1.0 Final (RGB) Layout
« Reply #4 on: 2011-10-21 11:49:55 »
I'm considering Purple and Orange layouts. I also plan on adding Multiple gpu temp bars. Sound good to anyone?
« Last Edit: 2011-10-21 14:27:12 by lordazoroth »

lordazoroth

Re: Paragon Blue v1.0 Final (RGB) Layout
« Reply #5 on: 2011-11-01 17:56:50 »
I'm considering Purple and Orange layouts. I also plan on adding Multiple gpu temp bars. Sound good to anyone?
Anybody? C'mon yall. :P

Ender91

• Alpha & Omega
Re: [Release] Paragon Blue v1.0 Final (RGB) Layout
« Reply #6 on: 2011-11-01 21:25:16 »
Hmmm I could use a purple one....;)

Triscopic

• ˙ǝıl ɐ sı ǝʞɐɔ ǝɥʇ
« Reply #7 on: 2011-11-02 11:06:54 »
If you made the background into an image with transparency and put a coloured background object behind it you could let the user set the colour. It could then be linked to the keyboard back light too...

Just a thought.

lordazoroth

« Reply #8 on: 2011-11-03 00:11:01 »
Thanks for the posts guys, keep em comin'!

Hmmm I could use a purple one....;)
Nice i'll get to work on this for ya!

If you made the background into an image with transparency and put a coloured background object behind it you could let the user set the colour. It could then be linked to the keyboard back light too...

Just a thought.
I'm not really sure what you meant here, What kind of image (with transparency) do you think would be suitable as a background? Remember, it has to stay functional and not be distracting to the eye, the idea is to be able to see your system information at a glance.

Also, I did add 2 optional grid backgrounds in the layout folder, feel free to check em out :).

Ender91

• Alpha & Omega
« Reply #9 on: 2011-11-03 08:13:23 »
What Triscopic means is a mask background (instead of colored background, you'll have a transparency background, it will be transparent where it's colored currently).

Triscopic

• ˙ǝıl ɐ sı ǝʞɐɔ ǝɥʇ
« Reply #10 on: 2011-11-09 09:38:06 »
What Triscopic means is a mask background (instead of colored background, you'll have a transparency background, it will be transparent where it's colored currently).

^ this ^

;)

lordazoroth

« Reply #11 on: 2011-11-09 20:53:46 »

^ this ^

;)
Oh ok, I think I understand what was meant here. I was confused at first since this was already implimented in the original design. Everything black you see on this layout is actually transparency. In the layout instances window, you'll see at the top "Background (Black)". This can be changed to whatever color you wish. As a demonstration, I've attached a screenshot to this post. I hope this is what was meant, if not please reply with further details, ty, sorry for the confusion.

Paragon Blue v1.0 Release Notes
Features:

Background Compatible: Everything black is 100% transparent. It was designed in such a way that backgrounds could be added freely, but try to keep in mind, this display layout was designed to be quickly glanced at from not only an aesthetic, but also a psychological standpoint. Whether you're watching a movie, climbing on the rooftops of buildings, or digging in for that 400 yard headshot, you won't want any distractions on your screen.

Also, I am currently creating a purple background. More features are on the way as of this new 0.0.21 release version. I am unsure of how to access this new disk activity feature however. I have been trying to figure out where exactly this new feature is located as it does not appear in my plugins list, nor does it appear to show up under any of the "Class" listings. Any help would be greatly appreciated, ty.
« Last Edit: 2011-11-09 20:58:07 by lordazoroth »

TourneDisque

« Reply #12 on: 2011-11-15 17:10:51 »
I can't download it... all i get is a HTML file: release_paragon_blue_v1.0_final_rgb_layout_427.0.HTML
Paragon Blue v1.0 (RGB).zip (274.26 kB - downloaded 80 times.)

lordazoroth

« Reply #13 on: 2011-11-17 22:52:14 »
I can't download it... all i get is a HTML file: release_paragon_blue_v1.0_final_rgb_layout_427.0.HTML
Paragon Blue v1.0 (RGB).zip (274.26 kB - downloaded 80 times.)
Huh that's strange, I just downloaded it now myself using Internet Explorer 9. What browser are you using? Remember to just left click, don't right click and select a menu item unless it's "save target as"

Also guys, sorry I haven't updated the layout in a while, got pretty busy this last few days, but I will absolutely be back to work on this very shortly. I finished the purple background for the layout but haven't had a chance to finish putting it together so i'll attach for now and finish adding it to a layout, supplying screenshots, etc, when I get a chance. Thx guys!
« Last Edit: 2011-11-17 22:56:18 by lordazoroth »

lordazoroth

« Reply #14 on: 2011-12-03 13:09:48 »
Hey guys, just wanted to give you all a heads-up. Been pretty busy here with work, but I am updating the layout in my spare time. Meanwhile, enjoy this release, I've been using it in Skyrim quite a bit and it's proving to be exceedingly useful in diagnosing bottlenecks. Later!

anything