Author Topic: Installing Plugins  (Read 8504 times)

Triscopic

• ˙ǝıl ɐ sı ǝʞɐɔ ǝɥʇ
Installing Plugins
« on: 2010-10-31 14:07:26 »
This is just a quick note about installing extra plugins.

A plugin for LCDHost is distributed as a ".dll" file. When you download a plugin, you will always find at least one such file inside the package, although there could also be other supporting files or source code. Check the author's release notes for any specific instructions, but generally all you need to do is copy the ".dll" file into LCDHost's Plugins folder.

If LCDHost is already running it will automatically identify that a new plugin is available.

What happens next will depend on whether the plugin is signed or not. By default LCDHost will automatically load signed plugins. For an unsigned plugin however, it will not automatically load it. This is because plugins that are not signed are not immediately trusted. In order to have the plugin run, you must tell the application that the plugin is safe and that it is ok to load it. You'll have to do this once per plugin and again whenever you update the plugin; once you've told LCDHost that a plugin is safe it will continue to load in the future, until you update it. Rarely LCDHost may not remember that you have marked a plugin as safe. In this case just mark it again - usually such an issue occurs only once if at all.

So, to load a new unsigned plugin:
  • Open LCDHost
  • Go to the Plugins tab. From here you can see all the plugins LCDHost has detected.
  • Find the plugin you just added and select it
  • Check the "I trust this plugin, allow it to load unverified" box.
  • Click the load button.

This plugin will now load each time the LCDHost starts and will work as intended.

Signed plugins do not need these steps, just put the dll in the plugins folder and you're good to go.
« Last Edit: 2010-12-19 17:04:02 by Triscopic »

SirReal

• Administrator
    • linkdata.se
Re: Installing Plugins
« Reply #1 on: 2010-10-31 14:34:45 »
Just a quick note that I intend to make signing plugins a possibility for other plugins writers. As always, it's just a matter of time and priorities. Note though, that even if a plugin is signed, it won't be automatically loaded unless it's signed by me, but you won't have to check the 'always trust' checkbox, simply loading it will suffice. This behavior isn't set in stone, I may change it so that all signed and verifiable plugins load automatically.

Tech note: To sign a plugin, you'll need the SignLibrary executable (not currently distributed) and a website where you control the content. You'll need to be able to provide a download location for the public key. Possibly I'll provide a public key repository - I haven't thought out the details.

Triscopic

• ˙ǝıl ɐ sı ǝʞɐɔ ǝɥʇ
Re: Installing Plugins
« Reply #2 on: 2010-12-19 17:05:09 »
Updated to reflect the new features in A13 (auto loading of verified plugins, and the fact that signing is now possible by 3rd party authors)

anything