Author Topic: [Release] LH_Weather (v1.30)  (Read 47804 times)

jilkka

Re: [Release] LH_Weather (v1.30)
« Reply #150 on: 2016-03-31 03:09:42 »
It appears that Yahoo made some changes to their weather API, which has made this plugin inoperable.  Any chance an update can be made to it to handle the new API?

Me too.. same question...  would like to see this plug in updated..  Plus I would use something like Weather underground which rarely does that due to all of us with hardware weather stations.

I am facing the same problem. Would really like to see an update to this plugin.  :)

Just a quick point out, another user and I were discussing this in the LCDHost Discussion area, this is what came from it:

Weather API is back up, think they were doing work on all their developer resources yesterday, as I had issues as well when I was trying to access a hosted CSS file there.
The plugins are all written in C++. Wish I had learned it :(
The source code for the project is on Google Code Archive here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/lcdhost/source/default/source
and github: https://github.com/ProgrammingCube/lcdhost

Still doesn't work for me :/

Developers forums won't open and http://weather.yahooapis.com/ is down. Weather plugin also can't recognize any locations. But yeah - i've read on stackoverflow that they might be down for everyone.

There were news that yahoo is cutting down on its budget and selling the company. Could be that they started with weather api services.

Think they may have just migrated the information here:
https://developer.yahoo.com/weather/

I've not seen anything about the service being shut. I have seen that yahoo just aggregates data from third-party sources and implements it into its API. The sources used are not publicly known.
I'm thinking that the plugin may just need either a modification or rewrite to use OAuth. If I knew how to implement it in C++/Qt I would take a stab at it, but I don't. I can just open the code and look at it and see that the requests are being made to http://weather.yahooapis.com/forecastrss to pull the XML data, and that the query does not pass due to missing OAuth key/implementation.

Now, I don't know how many C++/Qt devs we have on here, but if Triscopic's LH_Weather code in the github repository is the current plugin version, we'd only have to implement the new API instructions into the plugin code and recompile to make it work... however that may mean that everyone would have to use their own API key, which would mean each person would need to recompile it with their own key, or submit a request somehow to have someone else compile it using the requester's key. I'm not too knowledgeable in this area, so this could be super convoluted information, but at least I tried.

spambot

« Reply #151 on: 2016-04-01 23:31:40 »
Now, I don't know how many C++/Qt devs we have on here, but if Triscopic's LH_Weather code in the github repository is the current plugin version, we'd only have to implement the new API instructions into the plugin code and recompile to make it work... however that may mean that everyone would have to use their own API key, which would mean each person would need to recompile it with their own key, or submit a request somehow to have someone else compile it using the requester's key. I'm not too knowledgeable in this area, so this could be super convoluted information, but at least I tried.

Not really. The weather API is still free but you need a modified URI/URL to access it. Check Yahoo website here to get a working URL. I have tried to compile an unchanged source to test if it is really just that simple. However, I failed. I am unable to even get the untouched source compiled. The readme file is not clear how to compile the source. I always get a missing file error message. I have installed the Qt SDK but it seems the source missing a configuration file.

I found out the weather plugin is using this URL to get the woeid from the location configured in LCDHost. With this woeid can you use this URL (need to 'inject' woeid) to get the weather data as xml.

To test if the parser function can still handle this would I need a step by step how to compile the sources. :D

jilkka

« Reply #152 on: 2016-04-04 04:34:47 »

Not really. The weather API is still free but you need a modified URI/URL to access it. Check Yahoo website here to get a working URL. I have tried to compile an unchanged source to test if it is really just that simple. However, I failed. I am unable to even get the untouched source compiled. The readme file is not clear how to compile the source. I always get a missing file error message. I have installed the Qt SDK but it seems the source missing a configuration file.

I found out the weather plugin is using this URL to get the woeid from the location configured in LCDHost. With this woeid can you use this URL (need to 'inject' woeid) to get the weather data as xml.

To test if the parser function can still handle this would I need a step by step how to compile the sources. :D

Pity there's like no documentation, and scarce comments in the code. Then again SirReal said it himself when he was asking if anyone would continue to develop if he put all the source online.
Guess it's safe to say he didn't?

Chong McBong

« Reply #153 on: 2016-04-04 20:00:38 »
surely theres an easier way, maybe using "weather underground" and an rss feed or something.
the yahoo plugin seems to be lacking some things (like the ability to use miles & ÂșC together), so a different approach might be a better option.

if i wasn't allergic to writing code, i would give it a go, but i don't have the time or the skills for it  :P

my layout isn't much use without the weather data :(

jilkka

« Reply #154 on: 2016-04-04 22:32:47 »
The problem still comes down to compiling the plugin so that it can run in LCDHost. Without that, I don't know of a way to parse the data how everyone wants it, like to display the pictures for the weather, etc.

Malakie

« Reply #155 on: 2016-04-18 20:06:48 »
Perhaps someone will make a new weather plugin for us all to use... 

My recommendation is they use the https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KWIGRAND2 setup because a lot of people like us run actual private weather stations on top of the big ones out there.. which means it will not change all the time for coding...  And Wunderground weather is very detailed as you can see from the example link I provided.

For me, I use weather underground extensively as well as my own private weather station...   I would love to be able to have a plug in that allowed me to just use that too..  But, since my weather station is reported on Weather underground already, just having a plugin use weather underground data would suffice.

Mikalex

« Reply #156 on: 2016-04-23 23:00:19 »

spambot

« Reply #157 on: 2016-04-25 13:48:43 »
Hi folks.

I came over something wich maybe is of interest.

https://www.igorkromin.net/index.php/2016/04/14/yahoo-returns-its-weather-api-to-public-access-switches-to-yql-for-query/

Greetings
Michi

The problem is not an updated link, the problem is to get the link compiled into an updated Weather plugin for LCDHost. ;)

jilkka

« Reply #158 on: 2016-05-04 06:54:06 »
Source code is now officially on github. So maybe it includes that file that was missing during compile!
https://github.com/linkdata/LCDHost

http://www.linkdata.se/software/lcdhost/lcdhost-is-now-open-source/

Agent

« Reply #159 on: 2016-12-05 15:00:57 »
Is there anybody out there who can help getting the Weather plugin working again.

Would be really great to have that working again on my G19 with eos layout.

Calimero Oeuf

« Reply #160 on: 2016-12-30 18:57:34 »
any new working version ?